Sunday, May 8, 2011

Lessons from Mom -Mother's Day Edition

        I have a training manual somewhere in my basement that outlines how to deliver a proper handshake. It takes 6 steps, outlines how many pumps to apply, firmness of the grip, almost like you were programming an alien on how to be human. I found it absurd, but apparently the authors did not.
Most manuals or improvement courses, whether they be in sales, business, athletics, or human resources are about better personality traits, but few take the time to teach character. The 6 steps to a proper handshake never talked about why you shake hands or what is supposed to be behind the your eyes when you make eye-contact.
        Here are a few things I learned from a small, intense woman that I am lucky enough to have as a mother.
  1. Be on time 
  2. Be prepared
  3. Tell the truth
  4. Get it down and move on
  5. Don't let the dishes pile up too long
  6. Make your bed right away
  7. Tuck your shirt in
  8. Comb your hair
  9. Play fair
  10. Stand up for yourself 
  11. Protect your brother
  12. When someone is in trouble, stop and help him out.
Small, simple, but important. Things I use everyday. I am sure you do too, after all your mother probably taught you the same list.

Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment